Taking things a day at a time

Friday, June 5, 2009

The downside to having this job...

I'm standing all the time.

I don't get to sit at all, not even when I go on my breaks; not that I had any breaks during my first two days of work. We're suppose to get only a 30 minute break during our shifts, but I didn't get any yesterday or Wednesday. Not sure why. But I literally am on my feet the entire time. I had no idea it was gonna be like that at all.

What's lame is that there is a lot of "down time." You're either making the cookies and waiting for it while to bake or helping the customers. Unfortunately, there isn't a constant flow of the customers, so a lot of the time was spent standing around, trying to look busy and not collapse because my feet ached.

The only real time that the cookies get made is in the morning. So next week when I have mid-morning and afternoon shifts, I'm not sure what I'll be doing. There are times that there's a rush of customers all at once, but that only happens a few times. I really wish that we had stools to sit down on in the back.

And we don't even have a "break room" or anything like that. We have a small 7' x 7' room where all the paper goods are kept and where we put our bags. But we don't have an official break room. So if/when I actually go on my break, I have to take my break standing up. HOW RETARDED IS THAT?! That's just bizarre, right? Or is it just me?

Fuck. I need to get new shoes as well. I can't wear my Converse because there is no support in those Converse at all. And if I'll be standing for almost 8 hours straight, I'm gonna need better shoes.

I'm kinda nervous (again) about next week. I won't be working during any of the same shifts as the two other new girls. So I'll be the only trainee and that kinda makes me sad and worry a bit. But only a little.

Well. I guess I'm no longer a workforce virgin, as one of my friends said. I actually have a real job now. It's strange.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bryan said...

yeah...welcome to the world of mall employment! you said it was in a shopping center/mall type thing right? I remember those days...they're pretty terrible. the bookstore I worked in was in a mall, and our break room was really small too. it did have like one chair, but still...it was weird. but you'll get used to it.

June 5, 2009 at 6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home